Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Going to Stop and Enjoy

Ahhhh....last week our annual trip to White Lake....It is the one time of year we go away in order to stop doing the things we normally do at home. To go away to do absolutely nothing!









Those 7 days of the year are the days where my morning starts at about 10am with a Bloody Mary and a book on the beach. It is the week where we don't care about what time it is; our only concern is if the sun is going down and the mosquitoes are coming out. Days we travel less, not going much farther than the beach. The only errands we run are trips to the candy store.


During the week there are small achievements that we all can celebrate.

And hugs seem more abundant.


Our temporary home has drippy faucets, sand on the floor, and unique furniture. But there is no place we would rather be.

The days have extra time to crank out homemade ice cream.


and there are plenty of opportunities to explore and discover the world around.


Sometimes, unexpected couples share a memory.

And the days provide plenty of time for walks, conversation, good food, and rest.


There are so many moments during the week where it is peaceful, where I find it easier to be patient; to listen; to be a better parent. More moments to spend with Ricky and watch him from a distance be the person he is, and remember why he is my friend.



But boo-hoo, today Ricky went back to work and the vacation is officially over.

So as I come back to reality, I miss that week that just passed, a week of basically doing nothing. That week in Montello is always an awakening for me as to how busy our life is at home. I am realistic in knowing life can't always be like it is at the lake. But it is a reminder for me to every so often, make time for a good read, a game, a face to face talk, to watch, to listen... make more time for each other, time together, the six of us.

It's a reminder to slow down, stop, and enjoy what is in front of me, while it is still here...while we are at home. To stop and enjoy without having to go.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Welcome back! I missed you! Great pictures, looks like you had a lovely time and your family sure is beautiful!

AnnaMarie said...

L-O-V-E this post. I'm so convinced now that Tyler, Katie, and I are going to go camping for his week off in August. We don't have a lake house to go to, but we're going to take a tent...wait a minute. A week in a tent? Maybe not. :) But I love the picture you paint. Maybe we'll camp for a few days.

Lola said...

Great pictures . . . beautiful words . . . thanks for sharing!