Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Green Days

This time of year... in Wisconsin, it is the final countdown to finish cleaning up the yard, cutting down the brush, raking leaves to the curb. I have to say I like my yard clean going into the winter (easier to find the dog poop in the snow when the leaves are picked up) This weekend God gave us gorgeous weather to work in the yard. Looking out at it today, it brings me joy to see a leaf free lawn. And it amazes me how green the grass is this time of year. The depth of the color against the bare landscape is so bright and fresh even on a gloomy day like today.

There is another kind of green that is a part of life at this time of the year. It is the green of envy, the green of the dollar. I get the shopping bug this time of year. Soon approaching is the only morning when I look forward to rising before dawn. The reason is the Black Friday bargains. All those store adds with their door buster deals just makes me look to things that I normally wouldn't desire. Not that I give into the temptation...it passes as quickly as the adds go to the trash, but in the present day it makes me a little anxious.

So here is my thought heading towards this year's Black Friday. To let go of my own wants for frivolous things, and instead to think about all those who are anxious on a daily basis, due to job loss and cut backs. And on the day after Thanksgiving to do some extra shopping for those in need, because our family is fortunate to have a paycheck going into the bank. So this year I want to do more to help, and hopefully make someones life a little greener.

Ah, I feel better already!

2 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Very nice. I agree and really feel the need to serve others this year in particular. You really get up early on Black Friday? I never have before...this year we're doing it, though, to take my Dad's exchange student from Japan to the Mall of America! Sweet! (Not taking Katie) I doubt I'll buy anything, but it'll be fun to experience. Maybe if Archiver's has some deals...

Anne said...

What a beautiful post-poetic and generous in nature! Love it!