Here is a little background that brought this about....when I ask my kids to do a task I am not looking for them to do it with enthusiasm, or perfection, I'm just expecting a fairly well done job, in a reasonable amount of time. Connor has always struggled with this concept, and now in his teen years he seems less motivated to help, and less complete in what he finishes. So today I explained that instead of wasting my breath retelling how to do a task, if he does not do it to my liking, I will just add on another item to his list of things to do.
Tonight the first and only task was emptying the dishwasher. But after quite a long delay of emptying, and some unnecessary roughness with the silverware his list went from just emptying the dishwasher to also loading the dishwasher, then washing the dishes, and one more...drying the dishes and putting them away. As I added on each task Connor would shrug and ask what he did wrong. I reminded him that he is a smart boy and that I was not explaining.
After four tries he figured it out.
Too bad, I was hoping to get a lot more cleaning done on his behalf. Well, there is always tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment