Lately my prayer before going to sleep at night is thanking God that all my children are doing well socially, academically, and are basically happy with their little lives. There is that saying "if mom is happy, everyone is happy". The older my children get, I find the saying is the opposite. "If my children are happy, then I find it easier to be happy".
I may have jinxed myself with my bedtime prayer, because yesterday I got a call from the principal that my 8th grader would be coming home with not only one, but two demerits. As a parent, I believe a call from the principal warrants some ramifications, so my number one son, until next week, finds himself with less privileges than he would have on a normal day. This discipline does not get implemented without thought, I understand that for a social 14 year old boy, a day without texting is like a day with out sunshine. But I find it funny, that in his mind, the parents are marked as the disfunctional bad guys. Hummm, we were not the ones who got the demerits. Anyway, let's just say we are not on his most favorite people list right now!
After and evening of tension with the teen, I go to bed thinking of what to pray for on this night. Before I shut off the lights I see a cheery yellow note from Kelly hanging above my bed that she had surprised me with a week ago. In her poetic nature she wrote about how she missed me while I was away with friends. Ending the note with a favorite quote from one of her children's books "Love bends and breaks, but you can make it again...
With that, I know what my prayer will be this night, I know I have reason to be happy, and that everything is OK...even with demerits.
No comments:
Post a Comment