In my after Christmas shopping I have conjured up the idea that we need an artificial tree for our kitchen bay next year. But I can't bring myself to buy one. I don't know if I can do the fake tree thing. They are too symmetrical, they don't smell good, and are they the right color green?
We are a very real tree kind of family. And although this new tree would not be a substitute for the real tree in the living room I just can't decide.
Probably one moment where things come to a head is during the traditional family photo shoot. Every year I decide the Christmas tree hunt would be the place to try to snap the Christmas card picture.
Side note: If you haven't received a card from me in the past 3 or 4 years, don't feel bad, no one has. For a few years now my family photo has not made it into a card...A flaw of mine that I am working on.

The family photo shoot takes some time.
There is usually too much touching.

mouths open

eyes closed
...did I say too much touching?

And that is where the tears and irritation usually comes into play.
But over all we create some good memories, I get some good pictures, and we ultimately bring a tree home to decorate.
And that night of egg nog and ornaments is a whole other adventure in itself, not without some tears and frustration too.
This year Ricky tried to fix the lights in star that tops the tree.
While he was doing the electrical work, Connor decided to fix it in his own way by taping a utility light to the tree as a topper. Boy did that have a glow!!
But we eventually unstrapped the utility star, and Delaney positioned the unfixed and once again unlit star to the top of the tree where it belongs.
And so there our tree stands. With us all understanding and expecting that it not look perfect because it is a real tree after all, right? I think all its holes and oddities is my attraction to the real tree, and the problem I have with the a-symmetrical artificial tree. Looking at how we do Christmas trees we just don't fit in with perfection, and the real tree is a good excuse for us to be the real, misfit family we are.
1 comment:
Nice post. I love all the "outtakes" of real life. Next year we're definitely going to cut one ourselves...this year our "fresh cut" one was not. I'm all for real trees. No storage, nice smell...
Post a Comment