Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Is It A New Day?

It's not a new day, but it feels like it has been about that long since we arrived last night. Mom is hanging in. As we sit in the waiting room I watch as each bed rolls off the elevator waiting for it to be our girl. Finally six medical staff push her by and a sense of relief washes over. To know she has made a few more hours and through another surgery is such a relief. The surgeon explains that the bacteria has traveled further down her leg so he has removed more of the skin and fat that is infected. As far as everything else...she hasn't gotten better, but she hasn't gotten worse. I am surrounded by an incredible group of people. My sister-in-laws, my father in law, a good friend, and of coarse my husband.

So here is my spin on this...The whole experience is so hard but what a gift. It is incredible to see how these individuals join together and play their parts to support and comfort. I love that we can gather around Mom in such a critical state and still fill the room with giggles. That we can hug each other and it feels soooo good. That we have the same ideas when it comes to what is in Mom's best interest. That we even have a few inside jokes that we can keep bringing up when the mood needs to be lightened. That we are not letting this get us down and hopefully what Mom can hear and feel is positive and filled with hope and love. Like I said...incredible.

Now I think it is time to get a shower and some rest!

No comments: