Friday, September 18, 2009

On the Winning Team

Three days ago I would have not thought the phrase "winning team" would not be posted. But today Mom's surgeon reported that we beat the staff infection...although she is still extremely ill, we are winning. After three different surgeries to remove the dead tissue running down her leg, today there were not any signs of new infection, and her organs seem to be coming back to holding their own (sigh of relief).

None of this would have been possible without the team effort put forth. The team made up of all those who are praying for our family, the volunteers, friends and family who have treated us to food and comfort, my friends and mom and dad who are taking care of things back home so that we can be here, the nurses who are at bedside around the clock and willing to answer all of our questions, and of coarse the doctors who have the knowledge to become the winners.

Today the ICU physician who has been responsible for fighting the bacterial infection in Mom's blood, the one who has prescribed the countless medications to keep her alive, came into the room to report to us about her progress. As he was walking in to speak to us a colleague patted him on the shoulder, and in a manner of congratulating someone who has done something unthinkable said "You did it". That moment and those words put much of what has happened the past week into an awakening perspective.

5 comments:

jessicaj said...

I am glad to hear! I will keep you all in my prayers that the good news continues to flow. Thank you so much for keeping us all updated via your blog.

Elizabeth said...

A sigh of relief, prayers have been answered! May God continue to heal her, aid the staff, and keep your family strong. Thanks for the updates; I know you've been incredibly busy to call or email.

Beth said...

I just was updated by reading your blog. I'm sorry, I had no idea about this and would have said something on Monday when I saw you. I'm so glad your mother in law seems to be getting better. I will be praying for a speedy recovery. Take care!!

christina said...

My prayers are with you and your family. I hope your mother in law continues to do well! Thanks for updating us!

AnnaMarie said...

Oh, Katherine. I just got back online today and got caught up on all that you have been through the last few days/weeks. I'm so sorry, and I'm so glad that things are looking up.