Yesterday I had to go to the dreaded grocery store. So I dragged my stuffy nose out into the cold and off to Sendik's to load up the grocery cart. After paying my $150.62 to the cashier for a cart full of nothing I proceeded to the parking lot to unload. While placing my bags in the trunk, so as to not squish anything important, I noticed the guy behind me in line had already finished putting his bags in his car, and had returned his cart. I was finishing up my load as he ambled past me.
But on his way back, he stopped by me and asked if he could take my cart and return it to the rack. I was shocked by his polite nature, and quickly said "wow, sure, you can...thanks" I have always liked to be treated like a girl in that old fashioned way. I like when men open doors for me, pull out my chair for me to sit, and how Ricky steps out of the pew at church to let me go by first. So that little gesture by that stranger just made my grocery shopping a little more bearable.
Then on the way home I started to think. I thought, that is the type of man I would like my boys to grow up to be like. And that they definitely are fortunate to have the main two men in their lives (Ricky and my dad) emulating those values.
Then I thought a little harder about the age difference between the guy at the grocery store and myself. He seemed to be in his late 20's or early 30's, quite a bit younger than myself...hummmm, so maybe he was being kind to his elders by taking my cart....did he see me as an older lady that he should help out?
I should have probably stopped wondering about the situation five minutes ago because that thought led me into the next... that being...then heck with manners! Leave me alone, I can do it myself! And so much for making my day!
Oh boy, I guess I will go back to the happier first interpretation, and hope that my boys grow up to have good manners and treat women with unexpected kindness.
4 comments:
Are you kidding? He probably was helping you out because he thought you were hot.
Funny - I was thinking the same thing as Anna Marie - he offered to take the cart so he could get a closer look at you. smile. Bonnie
Did I forget to mention that I was wearing my sweat pants and red slipper shoes. Not very hot for sure...more granny if anything.
This is hilarious. But I can totally relate. I am totally an old-fashioned romantic. The exact same things you listed make me feel more like a loved lady. Remember....the class is always half full, NOT empty my love!
Post a Comment