Thursday, February 25, 2010

Looking Back


Old photos are such a treasure. And even better is when someone in your family organizes them and documents all the details. My dad (the one to the far right in the picture above) has been scanning and organizing all the old photos he has accumulated. It has been fun to look through them with him and hear the stories.

Viewing the collection of photos has made me realize that back in the day my grandmother was a really good photographer. She filled the frame, got down to the kids level, and was great at capturing the moments that made up her families crazy life with five boys.
I think it is endearing how on the bottom of each photo she wrote the boys names, always ending in "y". Don't they look like a handful? Makes me wish she was around to give me advise about raising my boys. Or at least to have her here to smile at me and tell me that no matter how naughty they are things will be ok. She would be able to give me advise because when it comes to life, the little things stay the same. And that is why I made this little book for CHA.

The mini album is one of the favorite projects I have ever created. I compared my current day photos to the retro photos in my dad's collection. It was surprisingly easy to find images that were similar. The book was featured this past Tuesday on the Bella Blvd Blog. If you would like to see the entire project you can go there and scroll down.

Here are some of my favorite parts of the mini.
I like how Connor looks so much like my dad. Both tall and lanky, with their mouths hanging open.
And these pictures of Delaney and my Mom getting all pretty really show that the little things never change.

6 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

I LOVE this little book. It shows how family life cycles into eternity. I'm glad your dad helps you with the photos. I just inherited a bookcase full of photos from my Grandma's house, and hope I will have room in our next house to take them home & maybe do a project or two like this myself! My Grandma also was a great labeler of photos.

Anne said...

Well now I see where your talent comes from, and where your boys get their good looks! (from Jackie, Dicky...)

Beth said...

This is my favorite ting you've ever done. Not only is the work fantastic, I just love the idea. And I agree with you about your grandmas photography. That must be where you get it from. And I can't believe how much your boys resemble your dad. You are amazing and an inspiration!

Elizabeth said...

so AMAZING. I love it. It has SO much meaning. I would love to do something like this...someday. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Stephanie said...

This mini album is a treasure, that's for sure. I just love it. Funny that I want to keep it around and it includes no pictures of any of MY family! ;)

Morgan said...

I am still obsessed with that mini album. You did an amazing job!