"Hope and Change"....We have heard those words a lot this past year. Just this week I have encountered more than a handful of people who are really in need of some hope, and are being forced to make some changes.
The reason I am writing about this today is because yesterday there was a situation that tugged at my emotions. While I was working at the store I had personal conversations with some customers about their job loss and stress they are experiencing lately. Then his man in his late fifties came in the store. He patiently waited for me to finish up with a customer. He handed me a card advertising his glass business and explained that he was in need of some work. He was just an ordinary guy on an ordinary day, going door to door looking for work. But after all the conversations I have had lately about the uncertainty people are feeling, this man put me over the edge. I wondered what the odds were that any business would need his services, and then what were the odds that they would contact him. I wondered how close he is to losing his business, or his life savings. I am sure I am overreacting about this man just giving me his card. Maybe instead, his going door to door is an act of hope, or shows his determination for change. Either way it seems hard, and it makes me sad. So today I pray for those people who need some hope to face the changes they are encountering.
2 comments:
Hi Katherine,
I was really touched by you sharing this story. I too have lost my cleaning job, and that is still financially devastating us. I continue to remind myself that although we are hurting, there are many other people out there hurting worse. I've finally learned to ask God for patience, faith and hope instead of material things. Thanks for praying and thanks for helping me get the job at MEC. It's not much, but I sure do appreciate it.
I remember you and I discussing this incident last week. My family has also been personally affected by job loss, and I thank you for your prayers. Thankfully, God has answered those prayers and jobs were restored in our family. However, it has made me so much more empathetic towards those that need hope and are looking for change. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Post a Comment