Wednesday, March 4, 2009

P is for Praise

This week a friend emailed me wondering if I had any good ideas for first communion gifts. At first I was drawing a blank only thinking of the Build-a-bear Kevin had received from his grandma that he still calls JC.

Then I remembered the book that I gave to Kelly last year. I forgot about it as a gift because it still sits on our coffee table and has become a daily site. An ordinary part of our lives.

Inside the book the pages are filled with little prayers that go with PRAY as an acronym

P is for Praise
R is for Reconcile
A is for Ask
Y is for Yield

Then there is the most special part of the book. Those are the letters from Kelly's grandparents, Ricky, and I. We all wrote to her about what prayer means to us. I would like to share with you what my dad wrote....

"Kelly, When I pray I see God. I see him in all things...sunrises, sunsets, beautiful trees, growing grass, and most of all in my grandchildren.
A grandchild is never more beautiful than on her First Communion Day, when God joins with her in a very special way.
Look in the mirror, you will see my prayer.
Love, Grandpa Bob"
Today I am going to praise God. I am going to use this as my inspiration and look for God in my children, my husband, and others who I meet today.




I love this picture of that day, with him fixing her dress.

4 comments:

Beth said...

OK - you just made me cry...thanks a lot!

Elizabeth said...

It brought tears to my eyes, too! That is so incredibly special.

AnnaMarie said...

That is really nice. Thanks for sharing. And I love that picture, too. How special for her to have those memories and words.

Anonymous said...

Yes Katherine, you did it again! You made me cry! That was truly beautiful! I am starting to understand that scrapbooking is so much more than just pictures. Thanks for inspiring me today!