Friday, January 23, 2009

School Days

Today I was a substitute teacher for the 7th graders at St Matthias. They always call me for the middle school kids, and I have to say they are my favorite. All my kids like going to school but this year Connor has been enjoying his time more than ever. He is to the point where he looks forward to the weekend being over so he can hang with his friends. After subbing today I can see why. They are a great group of kids. They are mostly kind to the kid that is a little socially out there, accepting of each others differences, and just plain having fun together while they learn. I am sure that is not how it is all the time, but being 12 and 13 years old they still have a certain amount of innocence and confidence. In fact, today Connor had to dress up and wore the silly elephant bow tie that Ricky wore at our wedding reception. That is fun and confident if I have ever seen it.

God has really given us a gift in that school in so many ways. His presence there, and in the families that send their children there, are forming who my kids are now and who they will become in the future. I have to say I will take all the help I can get.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you don't have any Jim Hayes or other trouble makers in your classes. Isn't it weird to teach where you were a student? I'd be sitting and daydreaming about my days there. Sounds like you love doing it. = )