Wednesday, June 3, 2009

These are Days

The Common Ground of Grief....the name of a class I attend once a month. Why do I go? To learn, to gain compassion, to heal, to support, to hopefully become a little bit of a better person.

Last night, like every time I attend the class, I think about my grandma. I miss her. There are many days that I wish I could call her to tell her the funny things my kids say, go to her house and take a nap on her couch (davenport as she would call it), eat the sweet treats she always made, and have my kids know her as they grow.


A couple weeks ago I created this page for the Scrapping the Music challenge. The quote comes form the song These are Days by the 10,000 Maniacs..."Never before and never since will you feel as warm as this..."

That is how it felt 4 years ago when my grandma died, like some of the warmth had been taken out of my life. Don't get me wrong, these days that I'm living are incredibly warm. Like the song says I am blessed and lucky. I just think days are a little warmer when you have a grandma's love to share them with.

Obviously since my grandma death I cannot share the days with her physically, but I can warm the days spiritually. Maybe by creating a scrapbook page, saying a prayer, sharing a story about her, or baking one of her yummy treats.

Today I encourage anyone who reads this to remember how blessed and lucky you are. Make your day a little warmer by connecting with someone you miss. Maybe it's a person who is still around that you just haven't talked to in a while, or maybe it is remembering someone who has died.

....so for me, I'm off to bake a danish puff with Delaney. My grandma made an awesome danish. It will be a warm day for sure!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Tears! Its beautiful! Did you see my post about Fr. Carl's 40th anniversary last month. When I saw that he put Paul's and my wedding picture on his poster, it made me miss my mom more than ever. I know she would have loved that. There are still days, even after 10 years, that I wish I could just sit down and talk to her.

The danish sounds good!

Stephanie said...

This is so heartwarming. Thank you for helping me take time to remember my grandparents as well. I miss their funny stories and I can hear their laughter if I close my eyes. I know my father misses them dearly still after 6 years of them being gone. Thank you Katherine for helping me make the time.

Beth said...

Katherine - you have inspired me to do a layout with my grandma, whom I miss terribly, also. Not a day goes by that I don't hink about her and I try to incorporate her lessons and values in my own life. I can only pray to be half as good of a person as she was.