Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sacred Noise

Growing up, from the age of 8 to about the age of 14, we had a visitor come to our house once a week. I remember him as an elderly man who would ring the door bell and stand on our front stoop puffing out of breath after his short walk from his car. As he sat down next to me he would say "Hi Stella" (yeah, I don't know why) and throw his head back to drink down his perscription medications. I never really looked forward to his visit. My parents had invited him...invited him to be my piano teacher.

As much as I didn't like taking piano, I'm sure that Dr. McCardy did not enjoy teaching me. Quite often during my lessons he would comment that his mother told him that he should have become a brick layer. Going through his mind was the the thought that as he listened to my noise he thought he should have followed her advice. Maybe I should have practiced more.

Now looking back I don't know that lack of practice was my problem. I think it would be a lack of musical talent. My mother must not have passed that gene down to me.

Just because I am not talented with music does not mean I do not apprecaite it. I am amazed by those among us who can pick up an insturment and make it make sing out a tune. And those who can compose, I am in awe.

Today Ricky sent me an email that linked me to this YouTube video. He said he always liked the tune playing in the background of the Canon commercial and found this tutorial. Sit back and enjoy.



So here is to all the Dr McCardys and to the children who can actually learn from them to becaome musicians themselves.

And if you enjoy commercials and the music behind them check out Sacred Noise to see and hear more.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You can come over and practice on our piano :) I like the link, cool!

christina said...

Thanks for that link! I loved it. I remember going to my friend Tammy's house and watching her practice the piano. She hated it, but I was very envious. I always wanted to learn how to play. Maybe when Lily's in school I will take some lessons, it's always something I've secretly wanted to do. Talk to you soon