Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Best Christmas Gift

We drove to Michigan on Christmas Day to visit Grandma in the hospital. Of the kids, Kevin was the most anxious to see her, and once he got a hug, his mind was put at ease. We all could see she was doing well. She smiled a lot, spoke of all her accomplishments, and sounded like her old self. We all told her how great she looked, and Kevin agreed with some very kind words....He said to her in a somewhat shy voice, "Grandma I like your face". That was a simple and wonderful way of putting the emotions of the day into words. We were all so glad to see her, and touch her, and have her here with us on this holiday. And although this Christmas was definitely not the norm, form the food we ate out of a cooler, to the matching garbs that we were wearing, we received the best gift of all...a smile on Grandma's face. I have to agree with Kevin, I like her face too.

2 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

That's sweet. It's hard to have a Christmas in a hospital, but I'm glad that you could have such a loving family memory this Christmas!

Rhonda said...

A true gift from God our children are aren't they? The simplest statements leave lifelong memories.