Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Another thought for today on the state of the economy...Tonight is President Obama's fist State of the Union Address. So today on conservative talk radio it was the topic of conversation. At one point I found the question the host posed as curious, and somewhat funny, so I thought I would share. He asked "if we were able to see the TelePrompter for tonight's speech what would be the word that we would see the most (ruling our the & and)?"

Callers phoned in with their opinion..."change, hope, ahhhh, inherited, crisis, economy, jobs, fight, plan, let me be clear, unprecedented, previous administration"...all good guesses. But the conclusion at the end the debate was that the most popular word in tonight's speech would be "I". (Remember this is conservative talk radio, not fans of the current administration.) This was the opinion of the host using the Presidents last speech as his evidence. He pointing out that during that speech the President said "tax payers" 2xs, "small business" 2xs and "I" 132xs.

The host of the show also gave a little bit of info about the first Bush administration. Apparently with his first State of the Union Address, President Bush wanted his speech to have an "I-ectomy" meaning he wanted to use the word "I" as little as possible.

I will not watch the speech tonight, but I will be curious as to what word that wins the popularity contest. And today I am thinking about the I-ectomy and how it is good advice to apply to my own life. To realize my countless blessings and put others before myself when possible.

I most likely won't watch the speech tonight. but I will be interested to find out what word wins.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Great post Katherine. Lots to think about!

Elizabeth said...

Ah, I guess I needed this post today. After a bad day and alot of thinking "I wish", the i-ectomy is something to think about. "To realize my countless blessings and put others before myself when possible". I will work on that.

Stephanie said...

So what word won?? Did u find out afterwards?

Yvonne (Bonnie) said...

Funny - today in my advance sales class the kids couldn't believe that I didn't watch the prsident - sorry I was in accounting class - I've never been one to watch a president speak but I would have last night vs. accting. Last semester I lost points for having too many "I's" in two different documents that I had to do. Listening the the president isn't going to get me a job - going to school like a good girl might help me though. smile. bonnie