Monday, April 20, 2009

7:45 am

At the end of last week Delaney woke up asking if it was a school day. I assumed that she was wondering if her spring break had come to an end. I was wrong. She was asking because she was anxious for the other three of her siblings to go back to school and return to what she considers a normal life of being alone with Mommy. Disappointed at the news, she let out a big sigh when I explained how many days were left to share the house with the gang.

Well today at 7:45 on a rainy Monday morning her wish came true. Spring break came to a screeching halt and the kids were off to school. Kevin went out the door with a frown on his face, griping that he did not want to go (he came to the conclusion that he deserved a "bonus day off"). Kelly bounced out the door chipper as usual, happy to see her grandpa and telling me she loved me. And Connor left grabbing his bowl of cereal on the way to the car, planning his day around "not wasting time doing homework in school when he could hang out with his friends instead".

Ahhh, now the house is empty and quiet. The dogs have retreated to the couch, Delaney is still asleep and will arise to be able to watch any channel she would like on the TV without fighting for it. And if we have time to make a batch of cookies she will not have to share the beaters or the bowl. Life is good.

And I hate to admit this, but I think I might possibly crawl back into bed until her day starts. Because isn't that what rainy Mondays are for anyway?

No comments: