Although I haven't watched ER in many years I did Tivo it last night and watched the hour tribute to the show that aired before the finale. I have to say it brought back some memories. I have always had a little emotional release when a long running TV show comes to an end. I remember being devastated when Hawkeye flew away over the Goodbye in MASH. I don't remember if MASH was on Thursday, but as far back as my days at UWL I can remember Thursday to be my night for social TV watching. Back in those days when you had to get up to turn the dial to change the TV station. My roommate Polly and I would go to the IGA and get a bag of sour cream and cheddar potato chips, and a tub of sour cream to munch on while we tuned into Knots Landing. Some Thursdays we decided to spend our quarters on beer instead of chips, so we would go to Cornerstone tavern and make Chris the bartender put the nighttime Soap Opera on the TV until the bar filled up with the usual college crowd.
When Ricky and I were first a couple, those were the days of "Must See TV" with the Thursday line up of Friends, Seinfeld, and ER. Back then we actually watched the shows while they aired and didn't have to watch after the kids went to bed. Come to think of it, I am not sure we had a VCR way back when. We were talking last night about some of our other TV favorites. In the 90's, on Friday nights we would occasionally get together with our fiends Jim and Jackie and watch Picket Fences, and Ricky and I always liked Mad About You, and Northern Exposure (fun soundtrack by the way, I have it on cassette, Yikes).
Today I don't know if I look forward to Thursday night as much as I use to. I do enjoy Survivor, and the Office is one of my favorites. I guess the best part of Thursday TV watching these days is just plopping down on the coach with Ricky and vegging out together for a couple of hours.
What is your Must See TV? Leave a comment and share your TV favorites form the past or present.
1 comment:
Back in the day, I loved Mad About You, Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld, and ER (when George was on it). I really don't have any must see TV shows anymore...I'd rather read a good book or sit on the computer and read my friends' blogs :)
Post a Comment